World of Esaene (ENWorld)

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Classes

I always feel that I'm getting too far ahead of myself and need to slow down in some of the changes I make. I know they're good, but it's too much to do at once and I somehow get lost in the shuffle. I have decided to take a more iterative approach in the time being, especially with the lack of time I have.

I want to start with the base SRD classes and work from there. Since I'm using Elements of Magic as my base magic system, I'll also throw in the three classes from there as well.

  • Barbarian - Just a flavor of fighter. Can safely be eliminated as long as class abilities are rolled up into ability trees.
  • Bard - Tradition of spellcaster.
  • Cleric - Tradition of spellcaster.
  • Druid - Tradition of spellcaster.
  • Fighter - Standard
  • Mage - Standard
  • Mageknight - Standard?
  • Monk - Flavor of fighter. I've never been a fan of this class.
  • Paladin - Mageknight variant?
  • Ranger - Fighter-light?
  • Rogue - Standard
  • Sorcerer - Mage
  • Taskmage - Standard
  • Wizard - Replaced by Mage

When broken down, this leaves:
  • Fighter - includes Barbarian, maybe some Monk stuff
  • Mage - Magic heavy
  • Mageknight - Fighter/mage
  • Ranger - Essentially a fighter/rogue hybrid
  • Rogue - Skill heavy
  • Taskmage - Rogue/mage or skilled mage

I would like to get down to a good core of classes that covers all of the basics and allows a player to play just about anything. I may just start with the basics big groups and go from there.

No comments: